Monday, August 17, 2009

More Adjusting

It's starting to hit me that I will soon have short hair. The shortest my hair has ever been was just below my chin and that was almost 10 years ago. It's going to be strange, but I'm excited nonetheless. I will just keep holding onto the thought that hair grows back.
Of course my husband has already said a few smartass comments about it all, but that's okay. I can understand that he's been brainwashed, just like most of us, into thinking straight hair is superior. What makes me happy is that I am educating myself about taking care of my hair in its natural state now, at a time when my daughter is starting to look at herself in the mirror and have a feeling about how she looks. She is even starting to tell me different ways she wants to wear her hair. Lately, instead of her normal braids, she wants to wear it "fluffy" where I'll put it in ponytails and braid it the night before, then take out the braids in the morning. It's so cute, but does get frizzy. However, I have solved that by using the washing/detangling method from tightlycurly.com.
What is so great is that I have broken the generations-old cycle of the women in my family hating their natural hair and not knowing what to do with it. I can't explain how good it makes me feel to know that my daughter won't feel that she has no other option but to put a relaxer in her hair. She will know that it is possible to manage her hair and for it to be healthy. I truly thank God for all of the information that is available now and all of the different options we have. I wish I had been able to get all of this the first time I decided to go natural. Back then, there were only a small handful of halfway decent sites and of those, most of the people were getting dreads. (I have nothing against dreads, but I want my hair to be versatile so that if I want a smooth look sometimes, I won't have to start all over, or get a wig.)
That's all for now. My goal is to keep this updated regularly - we'll see. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment